Friday, June 24, 2011

You know ...

You know you have a newborn when your 4-year old asks, "Mom! Why are you dressed?"

I think I've gotten "dressed" three times since Laney has been born. One of those was on Wednesday when my hubby and I went on a dinner date for his birthday. On the drive to dinner, we realized that instead of going out to eat together, when Luke was exactly Laney's age, we were sitting together in the waiting room of Seattle Children's Hospital as Luke underwent his first open heart surgery.

It still stuns me that Laney is healthy and we are given a chance to experience the "normal" newborn experience. Laney's birth doesn't lessen my gratitude for what we've learned through Luke's life, but I sure am thankful to be going on dates with my husband instead of doctor's appointments!

I am thankful that Laney can spit up like a madwoman and we don't have to panic about the loss of calories.

I am thankful that I can let Laney sleep for as long as she wants without worrying she's sleeping too much.

I am thankful we don't have another appointment for her until mid-July and if that one is like her others, it will short and sweet.

I am thankful that her little nostril is free from an NG tube.

Most of all, I'm thankful for her thigh rolls!

3 comments:

  1. I am thankful for my beautiful daughter who is such an amazing mom and who has blessed me with these two grandchildren that I adore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for all of those things, as well. Isn't this experience crazy? Wonderful crazy, of course! Sooo funny that Luke asked why you were dressed. I don't think I got dressed all of last summer! :) Glad you guys are doing well..xo

    ReplyDelete