Friday, June 26, 2009

This looks familiar

You know you're a first-time mom when you're surprised to find yourself watching your child re-test boundaries and limits you thought you established months ago. I have breathed sighs of relief that we're not there anymore, only to now find myself asking how we got back here.

Luke has decided he needs to double (quadruple?) check that we were serious about the limits we placed on his little world. Yes, Luke, whining is STILL not okay. No, you STILL can't stomp your feet and expect to get what you want. Crying STILL does not get you into mama's bed at night.

These two-year-olds are smart cookies. They catch us when our guards are down, thinking we are in the clear, that the terrible two's aren't so bad. Then we have to get back down to business and that is TIRING. My husband is so much better than me at consistency in discipline. He definitely is the model for our home and I am thankful we are partners in this process! Weak knees and a missing spine are exactly what a two-year-old wants, but exactly what they don't need.

One phase I am really enjoying is Luke's current love of books. I love to read. Love it and have often hoped that Luke enjoys books like I do. When I find Luke doing this ...


I know it's the perfect time for me to take a shower — one longer than 2.5 minutes.

Sometimes he likes to sit in his crib with all his books and I can hear him through the monitor "reading". He amazes me with his retention of stories! And did you know books are not just good for reading? They are also really good for hiding under and playing Luke's favorite game, "Where are you?" "Where are you?" consists of, you guessed it, Luke hiding and me looking all over the room for him. While I'm looking I usually hear a little voice giving me pointers on where to look. "Maybe he's under the chair!" "Maybe he's in the closet!"

This game would be even better if I could read while playing.

4 comments:

  1. Did your class get to the lectures on parenting styles? If not and you're interested, let me know. Also, I really hate to break this to you, but the testing limits and going backwards thing? You've got 16 years of it ahead of you! I must have said this a hundred times to my boys: "I thought we covered that when you were five!"

    Children are a challenge and a joy, and they keep us on our toes for years. I have to say though, I love the young men they've become - so sweet, so funny, people that I really and truly like. Don't let that fool you though, the Mama Bear is still inside me, waiting to pop out at a moment's notice. My guess is that it never goes away!

    Be sure to talk with lots of other Moms about your joys and your frustrations - it'll help you see that the behaviors are perfectly normal and developmental. Remember to be thankful for all the challenges Luke throws your way, because it tells you something very important - that he is on track in developmentally and that he is thriving! Yay for Luke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie,
    I can totally relate --- and it doesn't get any better at 3! (Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!)
    Zach also loves to read amongst a huge "pond" of books. He also enjoys "wallerin'" on top of them!
    Have a great weekend!
    Pam
    bprowens@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, we're dealing with the same power struggles here too. But I'm the 'bad guy' in the family.

    Love the picture of Luke with his books. It's great that he's so into them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, familiar here, too. The "limits" are never 100% clear to the little ones, it seems. Pushing our limits seems instinctive for them. As you said, consistency is key!

    I love that Luke loves books so much! Elijah really does, too, and I love that. You sure have a sweet little man there! Give him some hugs for me. xo

    ReplyDelete