Friday, October 16, 2009

Chariots, Horses and Flu Vaccines

Jennifer Knapp (when, oh when, are you going to come out with a new album?) has this great song called "In the Name" with the following as the chorus lyrics:

Some trust in chariots
But we trust in the name of the Lord our God
To each his own won't lead you home
And probably never will
I won't trust in the things I do
They will not stand, no they won't come through
So I'll trust in the name of the Lord my God


Psalm 20:7 is the source of this song's message: "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God."

I can honestly say I don't struggle with putting my hope and trust in chariots and horses (I've actually never even seen a chariot), so it might be easy for me to say that I fall into the latter group that puts it's trust in the name of the Lord.

But what if David had written these words instead:

"Some trust in modern medicine, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God."

or

"Some trust in their own ability and knowledge, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God."

David phrases this sentence as a very clear either/or. Am I placing my trust in God or not? Absolutely God gives us wisdom and gives our doctors wisdom, but my trust and hope cannot be put in people alone.

I got to thinking about all of this when I found myself calling our pediatrician and pediatric cardiologist, trying to figure out when and where Luke could get his H1N1 flu shot. I am fearful and anxious of the flu. I began thinking, "The sooner our family can get this vaccination, the better. THEN we'll be safe from the flu and any possible complications. THEN I won't be as anxious."

I think the psalmist (and God!) would agree this is wrong thinking.

I don't think it's wrong for me to research how to protect my son, or take all the precautionary measures that are available to him. And yes, we are going to all get the H1N1 vaccine when it becomes available here. Where I faltered, though, is in putting my hope in those things, and not God Himself. I took my eyes off the One who can calm the seas with a word. Don't you think He can calm my fears? He is the only one worthy of our absolute trust.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this reminder! I have been extremely caught up in this lately. Ultimately, it is God I have to have faith in.

    I hope Luke can get his shot soon!!

    ReplyDelete