Sunday, August 16, 2009

Miss Judy

Luke had his 3-month check up with his dietician on Friday. I know I've said this before, but it is AMAZING how God works seemingly frustrating and negative situations for good. The only reason we got connected with Judy is because she partners with the GI doc that finally diagnosed Luke's bloody stool (sorry!) as a result of a milk protein sensitivity. About a year ago, Luke was discharged from the GI clinic, but we have continued to see Judy every few months.

Luke went from 25 pounds 14 ounces to 27 pound 2 ounces in three months. He continues to stay on the 15th percentile curve for weight but jumped to the 25th percentile for height at almost 36" tall.

Like Judy says, he's doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing. Luke will gain weight the way his body needs to whether I worry about him or not. Judy would be the first to attest to the fact that I was a worrisome mess when we first connected with her. She was actually the one to tell us Luke was ready to go without the NG. I, on the other hand, was petrified. She has seen me come a long way, to a place where I trust Luke to know what his body needs and he trusts me not to force the issue.

In the past couple of months, I felt myself starting to backtrack a bit, wanting to control Luke's intake and worrying more about his weight. I know why. We are now a year away from Luke's Fontan, which Dr. Cohen won't do unless Luke is at least 30 pounds. I shared this with Judy, that I want to just let Luke be, not have some stupid number dictate how I feel. Her response was perfect: "So, if he's not 30 pounds, then what? Can they not push the surgery off?" I answered her, no, of course they can delay the surgery, but that's not really in my plans (yes, I know how crazy that sounds as a believer in a God Who is Sovereign and wants us to live in HIS will, not our own).

I left that appointment realizing that God again is reminding me to let Him reign. His timing is perfect and it would be a waste to spend the next year fretting about Luke's weight! He is perfectly designed, he is growing and he is healthy. Let us rejoice in that and continue to trust God in the timing of Luke's surgery.

2 comments:

  1. Amen and Amen! Praying for Luke always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so wonderful that you have a professional who you can trust so much to guide both you and your precious little boy.

    It's so hard for me to always remember that God is in control of everything. I think if there was one thing I could change about myself it would be my WORRYING. I know God doesn't want me to carry burdens around with me the way I do. It's so tough though.

    Praying for you and for Luke and for everything to fall into place just right, as I know it will. xo

    ReplyDelete