Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Mother's Heart

Luke's second diagnosis at 24 weeks in utero was described to us as, "Rare. As in so rare that when you tell another cardiologist about it, they would look at you funny and say, 'Huh? What did you say?'" So rare that out of 400 diagrams, Dr. S. didn't have one to match Luke's heart.

From a medical standpoint, Luke's heart is 1 in 10,000,000. A heart to be analyzed, studied, documented.

From a mother's standpoint, Luke's heart is my heart. A heart to be protected, cherished, nurtured.

I'm so glad the job is mine:


*****

What makes Luke's heart so rare is two-fold: One, he is a true single ventricle, with not even a hypoplastic right ventricle. And two, most double inlet left ventricle hearts also have a transposition of the great arteries. Luke's arteries are normally related.

Just in case you were wondering!

*****

Thank you to my hubby who gave me the entire day to myself. After a yummy breakfast in Tacoma with my mom, stepdad and brother, the rest of my day consisted of a good book, a good run, Starbucks, a nap, and Italian food — all my faves! Thank you, honey!

5 comments:

  1. Jessie,
    His heart is a wondrous thing indeed. That it could be so rare, and that it could be repaired, and that it could pull so hard on all our hearts. And I will echo you: From a mother's standpoint, Web's and Riley's hearts are my heart. It has always been so, and will always be so. It is amazing how that love grows and twines itself through your soul. Have I shared this quote with you?

    "Making the decision to have a child – it’s momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." Elizabeth Stone

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the phrase "one in a million" doesn't even come close to describing Luke. What an incredible kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day! I'm glad you got a YOU day. You deserve it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet picture...and this post is so true. Dito! Happy Mother's Day to a heart mommy that I just adore! Lots of love to you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, sweet Jes, I am so glad you are Luke's mom. I am so glad this special boy has a "one in 10,000,000 mom."

    ReplyDelete