Friday, January 16, 2009

Woohoo. Lukey's Two!

Luke turned the big two on Friday, January 9. Two. My baby. I am floored that I have a child old enough to want to eat at the big table instead of his high chair. Old enough to tell me which song he wants to listen to when we're driving in the car. And old enough to understand that he can entertain people.

It goes without saying that Luke was the center of attention at his birthday party, but what surprised me was how much he enjoyed the attention! I've never seen this "hammy" side of him, this side of him that likes to make people laugh. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. From the day he was born, he has been a light to this world. His name is perfect: "Bringer of light and truth."

Luke's big party was a family affair: Grandmas and Grandpas and Aunts and Uncles. We had chicken wings, tacos, veggies with dip (well, just the dip for Luke as he'd lick it off and then throw the veggie away) and of course, cake and ice cream. We played with his new water table from mom and dad, opened presents and introduced Luke to the ultimate party game: the piñata! We filled this piñata with M&M's, bath crayons, new mimi's (pacifiers), fruit leather, play-doh and starbucks and arch cards for the guests. It was a mad scramble when the first person spotted the plastic!

Despite boycotting a nap that day, Luke was such a joy the entire party. I was half waiting for a melt-down, but it didn't happen! After our family left, we put Luke in the bath and started his bedtime routine. He was so tired after all the festivities that he fell asleep in my lap when we were saying prayers. What a fun day and what a fun boy.

Here are some of my favorite pictures from the day:

Luke helping Dada decorate his race-car cake.



Playing with his new water table. It was a birthday miracle that he let us push his sleeves up to play. He does NOT like that!



Opening presents! This is a wooden truck puzzle from Uncle Willie.



I guess they had too many injury claims with the old-fashioned "hit-the-piñata-with-a-stick" piñatas. Now they have kids pull a string until they pick the one string that opens the piñata door. Thankfully, we have no injuries to report!



Mission accomplished.



And this was Luke's mission strategy. Poke cake with finger then lick. Repeat.


Happy birthday, sweet boy. We love you!

5 comments:

  1. Happy, Happy Birthday Luke! We're sure glad we've met you and your sweet mommy. Glad your birthday was such a big hit :) Our love and hugs to you, big boy!
    Love,
    Katie & Maddie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to have heard from you all! My old computer bit the dust a while ago, and with it's demise, so went Luke's blog site... So I am just delighted to check in with you all! Happy Birthday little buddy! Welcome to TWO!!! Wow, such a big boy!

    We love you all and miss you so dearly! Thanks for loving us like you do.
    Love, Cindy Lester

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUKE!! Such a BIG BOY and I love the race car cake! you looked like a little BOY on your 2nd birthday... Goodbye to the baby days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Luke! Looks like you had a great day!

    Hi Jesse this is Susie, Teagan's mom. Katie and I are planning on going to the feb. chd meeting and I'm looking forward to finally meeting you and Luke! Love the pictures, what a cute little man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwww, happy birthday, sweet boy! I'm so happy that it was such a fun party. Two years is quite a milestone to celebrate!

    I love the injury-less pinata idea. I may have to scope one out for Elijah's upcoming party. :)

    ReplyDelete