Saturday, May 14, 2011

Double-header appointments

Let's start with this guy's, who set up a "parade" around the entire perimeter of the bathtub last night:

Of course there are always worries creeping in to my brain as these cardiology appointments approach, but I think I was much more nervous this time around than I've been in a long while. I'm sure it was a combination of being so pregnant along with Luke's 2-month battle with his cold and cough. It was hard for me to let his cold just be a cold and not attribute it to his heart function. I don't think I even realized how nervous I was until after the appointment when I experienced the adrenaline/emotion letdown.

All that to say that the news was good! Walking back to the car, I had to remind myself of that many times.

Here's a quick rundown of Luke's current stats:

Weight: 33.5 lbs
Height: 40"
Sats: 81%
Blood Pressure: 98/60
EKG: Normal

The only number I didn't love in that rundown was the 81% oxygen saturation. That is still a bit low for him, but I'm 95% sure that's still due to his clogged nose. The fact that Luke's sat's run on the high side for a Glenn is what is buying us time before his next surgery, so we definitely don't want to see those dropping. I am hopeful that they will bounce back up to the mid-80's once Luke is completely over this congestion (we're close, I think!)

With the motivation of picking out a new toy with Dad later that night, Luke was a star during all these tests, including the dreaded EKG. He worked so hard to hold back any fussing when we had to pull the stickers off.

We next got situated in the echo room, moving rolling and dinosaurs in hand. He whined a tiny bit when the echo wand was in his way and he "couldn't see the screen very well" but we got him repositioned and then he relaxed. Not to say there wasn't the occasional, "I'm ready to be done now" commentary. For a lot of the echo, I noticed he had his hand in the tech's shirt sleeve. Not sure why, but I think she was loving it. The echo was long, 30-35 minutes, but we made it through the last chunk of time with a sucker.

When Dr. S. walked in, my stomach flipped. I don't know why, but I was sure there was bad news. When he listed what he specifically was looking at (valve leakage, Glenn site, any narrowing through Luke's coarctation of the aorta, and left ventricular function), and kept saying looks great, looks great, looks great, I was so incredibly relieved. And so incredibly thankful.

Did I mention relieved?

We'll head back in six more months, although I'll probably take him in this summer to make sure his sat's are heading back up.

The second appointment of the double-header was for Little Laney and Mama.

This little munchkin had a great report too! Heartbeat, growth, movement all made the docs happy.

I am currently 39 weeks and 1 day, and we are nervous but so ready to meet Laney. We continue to pray hard that she is totally healthy and that we can come home after a short stay! That she won't need the NICU, that she'll be able to breastfeed right away, that God would be glorified in her health.

Thank you for all your prayers!


  1. Glad for the good report on Luke. All this anxiety is "normal" for a heart mom. ;-) I had that too prior to delivery of my next child. Don't let it discourage you though. God's still in the making of your beautiful story. I'm looking forward to meeting Laney online too! Take care!

  2. Luke looks like he's makin the "Dinosaur Train."

  3. So glad to hear all the good news! And, I love Laney's name ... can't wait to see pictures of your sweet girl! :)

  4. Wonderful appointments all around! Yay!!

  5. Can't wait to meet little miss. So glad to hear things get better with the behavior on ekg's and echos. :)