Monday, July 6, 2009

The third of July

I'm glad I took some pictures on the Third of July, since the Fourth of July saw no camera action. Lots of other action (mainly trying to keep hot, miserable Luke not-so-hot and a little less miserable), but no pointing and shooting action.

You'll look at these pictures and wonder where it went wrong. We're still wondering! The more I think about it, the more I believe that Luke + 88 degree heat = CRANKY.

On the third, we headed up to my dad's on Lake Tapps for some swimming and good eats:


Luke wanted someone to hold his hand down the slide the first few times. After that, you couldn't stop the brave boy!




Ellie the puppy taking advantage Luke's ice cream drippings.

My sister and her boyfriend flew up from L.A. for the weekend festivities and by Sunday, everyone was chopped liver next to Auntie Jenny and Uncle Coleman.

After dinner, more trips down the slide, some frisbee-throwing and raspberry-topped brownies, we headed home to put Luke to bed. We had a lazy morning planned thinking Luke would be ready for the big 4th of July party in my mom's neighborhood.

Driving down, I pictured Luke squealing with glee as he zipped down the slip 'n slide, frolicking with the other kids at the party and happily watching the baseball game from the sidelines.

Why, oh why, do we set ourselves up with these outrageous expectations?

Luke didn't want to go near the slip 'n slide, he hated the screaming coming from the baseball field and he definitely was not into the heat.

We spent much of the evening in Nonna's house, playing with his Matchbox cars and track. Another large portion of the evening was me and Roger shadowing Luke, trying to get him to drink more and more water. (Do all heart moms worry about their heart kiddo's in the heat?)

Once it started to cool down, Luke's spirits lifted dramatically. By the end of the night, he was going strong, playing on the trampoline and chasing Papa. Rog and I on the other hand could barely keep our eyes open on the drive home. He wore us out!

After showers and jammies, we took Luke out on our upstairs porch to watch some of the fireworks in the town below us. He thought they were pretty fantastic until two ear-deafening explosions went off right across the street. He looked at us and said, "Okay, time to go in the house now!"

On Sunday, after trying to explain to Luke that he couldn't watch more fireworks, we headed back down to my mom's to get some more time in with his new best buddies, Jenny and Coleman. He, of course, was in a stellar mood, even without a nap.

Maybe next year he'll love the 4th, but even if he doesn't, hopefully I'll have learned to set aside my postcard-perfect expectations and to remember that these moments make all the hair-pulling moments worth it:

2 comments:

  1. Jesse,
    I don't know how Luke's heart handles the heat, but mine, with the leaky valve, doesn't like it. It skips beats and my chest feels tight and I feel lethargic. Makes me wonder how Luke feels, given the much more serious nature of his heart. I was cranky too, so maybe Luke and I should have hung out!

    Now, on the other hand, speaking from the perspective of an experienced Mom, I often found that holidays were a bit too stimulating for the boys - so many people, so much activity, routine out the window - sometimes it all adds up to more than a little guy can deal with. Add in the heat, and the 2nd day of festivities...well, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate with the "festivities" expectations, only to be shown differently. Crowds and lots of activity and noise never seem to agree with Elijah very well, and I always seem to forget that until we're IN the situation.

    Elijah does not like the heat either. Not at all. When it is hot outside he gets lethargic and does the sign for "all done" repeatedly until we take him inside. I'm sure their little bodies just don't agree with it.

    I'm glad Luke was at least able to enjoy some water and ice cream!! What a cutie..I could munch him up!

    Have a great week, you guys. xo

    ReplyDelete