October 4, 2008
American Heart Association Start! Heart Walk
8th Street and Pacific Avenue, Tacoma, WA
- To raise $5,000 for Congenital Heart Disease research
- To increase awareness of congenital heart disease, which is considered to be the most common birth defect, affecting 1 in every 100 babies
- To honor Luke, our hero fighting his congenital heart defect
Why We Are Walking:The money that is raised each year through the Start! Heart Walk will be used to fund the valuable research, education and advocacy efforts of the American Heart Association. And without organizations like the American Heart Association advocating for people with cardiovascular disease, kids like Luke would not have such a fighting chance for a long and active life.
As little as 35 years ago, children born with a single ventricle, like Luke, would have been sent home without hope of seeing their second birthday. Because of faithful researchers, medical pioneers and fund-raisers, children with CHD can experience life in its fullness.
How You Can Help:
- Visit Team Luke's online donation form and make a secure and tax-deductible donation today. We will be designating your donations specifically to congenital heart disease research.
- From the above link, you can also download a printable form and mail in your donation.
- Join our team of walkers on October 4, 2008 in downtown Tacoma. View Start! Heart Walk details and sign up here. If you are interested in joining us at the walk on October 4, please let us know by posting a comment.